Fixing Washing Machine Drain Clogs
Posted on December 3, 2019 by Melbourne Plumber
Your washing machine works without a hitch 99.9% of the time. But there are a few things that can go wrong with this appliance. One such thing is a washing machine drain clog.
There is a drain behind the machine that allows for the dirty and /or sudsy water to be evacuated from the machine into your main sewer line. The machine has a special drain pipe which dumps directly into your sewer out line.
There are typically three culprits when it comes to this particular drain getting clogged:
- Soapy residue from detergents build up over time
- Lint and debris from the clothing itself creating clogs
- Grease, oils and other solids that were on the clothing prior to washing
Steps you can take to clear your clog:
- Run some simple drain cleaner liquid bought from the store down the pipe two or three times. If the clog is organic in nature, this may flush it out.
- You can use a snake on this drain if you own one. Make sure to apply fluid-twisting motions to get that clog moving.
- Run some hot water through the drain shortly after trying these techniques.
There is a home-made mixture of hot water, vinegar and baking soda you can try as well. Some people have found success with this remedy.
If these methods fail then it is defiantly time to call a professional licensed plumber. He or she will get your system working again in a jiff.