What is that Banging Noise When I Use My Faucet?


What is that Banging Noise When I Use My Faucet?

Posted on January 22, 2019 by Melbourne Plumber

plumbing fixIf you have ever turned on a faucet in your house and you get a thumping noise or a noise that almost sounds like a jackhammer is in the other room, you have what is called “water hammer”. The problem may be easy to fix but there may also be some underlying problems that need serious work.

Air chambers that are probably already installed in your plumbing have kept this phenomenon from happening until now. But, water can back up into these chambers, nullifying their effectiveness. There is a simple fix you can start with:

  1. Turn off the water going to the house at the main source.
  2. Open all of your faucets and spigots.

This allows the trapped air to escape. Turn on your main water and shut off every water outlet. If the problem persists you may need to look at replacing (or installing) your air chambers.

If the problem is not solved, check your water pressure. You can buy a gauge at your local hardware store. Your pressure should be between 50 to 80 psi. If it is higher, you can contact the water company and tell them about your high pressure problem and see if they can assist you.

You can call a professional plumber and they will be able to fix your problem.

Recent Posts